Thursday, May 11, 2017

Arrive


Begin
Arrive





Brace yourselves for a sappy analogy: 
Today I sat in my final undergrad class. I half took notes, half read one of my books [of choice].

These 5 years in college have felt like walking/swimming, breathing under and through water...a large body of water; thus, why I felt these pics from San Diego, CA were appropriate.

I handed my shirt & purse to my homes, Cdra, and headed towards the water, while everyone else walked around it like normal people. I remember being excited as I began to step in, feet still steady on the ground. Then it got deeper and colder.

Now I'm in the middle of this lake on the verge of an anxiety attack. It felt like the cold, dark water blocked all of my breathing passages. The boats were a heck of a lot bigger when I'm just a little face floating on the surface. Mind = “Are there sharks in here, ‘cause I think my foot just touched one?!” I thought I was going to drown, and then I remembered I'm fully capable of swimming. Stop. Breath. Swim. Arrive.

College… same pattern. It didn’t come easy to me like walking around, but rather swimming through. From community college, to cosmetology school, back to community college, then to UMD, with altogether 6 different majors...there were many points I felt like I was drowning. I have always commuted-- never lived on campus. My pops and I had a financial deal (thanks for helping me graduate DEBT FREE, love you long time, you too Ma). I went to class full-time, went to work part-time, came home and studied, repeat. Anxiously awaiting to arrive. 

And so I have. 2 online finals and 1 written early Monday morning, and I am a college grad. The day is actually in sight. I’m not walking, because I already swam ;) [See how I did that?] But really, best way for me to celebrate is by being surrounded by my family and friends, picking some MD crabs, and drinking a cold one—not walking across a stage—personal opinions.

My Bachelor’s of Science degree will be in Family Science, along with a 90-hour Early Childhood Teaching Certification-- total of a 3.7 GPA. I have met people that I never would have met, learned things I never would’ve known, and challenged myself beyond any other challenge by going to college. Did I enjoy it? Most of the time, no. Do I regret it? Absolutely not. Perseverance takes on a whole new definition for me. I didn’t quit, and that feels good.

To my 18-year-old, or however many year old, friends about to go to college + those currently in the cold, darkness of “I think I’m drowning”—you are not, you will make it, it is worth it if you have been given this opportunity. Arrive.

Then do it again.
My next arrival point is the most exciting opportunity I have ever been offered. And it is only because I got through these 5 years first. Stay tuned reader friends, I cannot wait to tell you!

Love from Laura.

Ps. Thank you to my wonderful husband, Benjamin [Ben-ha-mean], who helped me get through this final year by allowing me to focus on my school work, rather than that cash-money $$$ work. You da you da best. And SHOUTOUT TO JESUS the real MVP keeping me sane with his peace that the world doesn't offer me, heyyyyyy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment